The History

of Peregian Beach Community Kindergarten

In 1976, when Peregian Beach was a tiny coastal village, a group of parents formed a playgroup which operated on this block of land. This motivated group of parents saw the potential for educating their children here and a committee was set up to establish the Peregian Beach Kindergarten and Preschool.

By 1981, after raising $12,000 and securing a loan, the building began, with the official opening in April 1982. Mr Bill Deans was the first Director and Mrs Sue Holley (Wass) was the first Assistant. The Kindergarten was affiliated with the Creche and Kindergarten Association of Qld and subsequently attracted ongoing funding from the Qld Dept. of Education.

In 2010, when the State Government announced a choice of Central Governing Bodies, the decision was made, along with many other community kindergartens in the area, to change to affiliation with Lady Gowrie.

In 2011, following the decision by the State Government that Kindergartens give preference to children aged 3.5-4.5 years, no longer enabling the centre to offer children two consecutive years of early childhood education, a name change to Peregian Beach Community Kindergarten was adopted.

Our Patrons

Rod and Diane MacRae (who were instrumental in the establishment of the centre and  offer their ongoing support.)

Life Members

Pam and Owen Friar (outstanding volunteers from 1993-2012)


Phone: (07) 5448 1702

Operating hours:

8.45am – 2.45pm


Street Address: Rufous St, Peregian Beach, next door to the Peregian Beach Tennis Club.


Postal Address: PO Box 6, Peregian Beach, Queensland 4573


Website created by Smart Coconut // all rights reserved 2017

© Copyright Peregian Beach Community Kindy